The Retail Industry faces a staggering loss of $13 billion in thefts every year – that is a loss of $35 million in stolen goods each and every day! Although it would seem apparent that these are primarily the result of shoplifting, 44.3% of this shrinkage is due to employee theft, versus 35.7% from shoplifting. The remainder of loss came from internal errors and administrative failure (such as pricing or accounting mistakes) and supplier or vendor theft.
- There are approximately 27 million shoplifters (or 1 in 11 people) in our nation today. More than 10 million people have been caught shoplifting in the last five years.
- Shoplifters say they are caught on an average of only once in every 48 times they steal and are turned over to the police only 50% of the time.
- Shoplifters steal from all types of stores including department stores, specialty shops, supermarkets, drug stores, discounters, music stores, convenience stores and thrift shops.
- There is no profile of a typical shoplifter. Men and women shoplift about equally as often.
- Approximately 25% of shoplifters are kids, 75% are adults.
- Many shoplifters buy and steal merchandise in the same visit. Shoplifters commonly steal from $2 to $200 per incident depending on the type of store!
- Habitual shoplifters steal an average of 1.6 times per week.
Business security camera systems not only help prevent the common issues we see with shoplifting and shrinkage but can also offer valuable insight into how well your business is operating. We’ve seen shop owners benefit from the clarity gained on opening and closing time traffic flow, stop illegal dumping in trash bins and prevent costly “slip and fall” claims.
As your security partner, Midwest Digital Systems will evaluate your current environment, create a cost effective design tailored specifically for you, and provide a quality installation of your integrated security solution. We offer a range of products and equipment from quality manufacturers and will craft the right security solution for your business.